When Michael Crawford tells me I should meetup with someone, I arrange it with haste. :) So Robin Breault and I arranged to meet while she and Brooke McDonald were in Kansas City at the EShipSummit, hosted by Kauffman Foundation. Robin and Brooke are the founders of Lead Local, based in Arizona. During our hour together talking education and life, we connected on this crazy deep, spiritual level -- and it was AWESOME. We are following up, talking about future work/ideas. Robin and Brooke are the #realdeal. They know their stuff (design thinking, entrepreneurial thinking, global ed, and more) and they are passionate about it. Lead Local will take teams through non-traditional (outside the box compared to status quo PD) thinking/planning processes that result in action and culture shifts. Check out their website. They have a big team and detailed resources, stories, videos. They travel to you.Read More
|A Message from KCedu:We look forward to meeting you/talking/networking on Wednesday at KCedu! 34 edleaders are coming and I'd love to see YOU! Register here up to 5:30 tonight. :) Every relationship we make in our face to face 'collisions' matters for our kids. You never know where it may lead.KCedu: Education + Innovation take center stage for KC area educators from all walks, roles, and areas of education who serve learners of any age. This is K-12, Parochial, Higher Ed, Head Start, Charter, Startup,Edupreneur, Entrepreneur, Non-Profit, Service/Learning organization, and more.
#KCedu Featured Innovators!
1. Conner Hazelrigg, William Jewell and now Missouri S&T engineering student, and founder of Sollular Connections will share her journey creating and then bringing her portable solar charging boxes to people in 3rd world countries! She wants to increase knowledge and passion for #STEM and solar energy in kids. She has #servicelearning ideas for your kids to help get solar charging boxes to people in need. She came to Laura Gilchrist's classroom last year and helped her 6th graders see the need for these power stations in villages in Haiti. Kids will walk for hours each day to charge phones for their family and they must pay money.
EXCITING!! Cool idea to explore at KCEDU and an OPPORTUNITY for us all: The 30 Goals Challenge & Passion Pitches (virtual--5 minutes) are on July 16. We will talk about the opportunity for us to pitch Conner's idea to a connected global educator community. The Passion Pitches on July 17 may be something YOU want to consider for YOUR upcoming-year projects!
2. Learn about the Lean Lab Fellow edupreneurs and what they're working on. How can we help them? Learn about the intersection between education and entrepreneurial thinking/problem-solving. Katie Boody will lead the charge! Check out the Lean Lab and their newest Incubator Fellowship program. You can get involved in the next round.
POWERFUL TOOLS for all my KC area EdLeaders in all walks of education:
KC Edleaders TWITTER LISTS -- If you're not on it, please let me know! Subscribe; connect with these KC area educators from all levels/walks of education. Big KC Twitter List -- Large KC EduCommunity Players: Schools, Districts, Educators, Businesses, Non-profits, museums, etc. EdcampLeadership KC is Monday, July 13! Can you come? Please do.
We meet the 2nd Wednesday of the month! Please join us. Face to face meetups can create capacity for big things...for our kids!
This Wednesday, June 10 educators from across the city collide and converse again at the Kauffman Foundation, 5:30-6:30+! Here is the invite and registration. Education + Innovation take center stage for KC area educators from all walks, roles, and areas of education who serve learners of any age. This is K-12, Parochial, Higher Ed, Head Start, Charter, Startup, Edupreneur, Entrepreneur, Non-Profit, Service/Learning organization, and more.
Come join us, get connected in KC, and grow your professional learning network. Why? Being connected to the KC educator community will benefit our kids and our schools!
- 5:00 -- Doors Open for Networking/Conversation with KC area educators!
- 5:30-6:30 -- 2 KC area educators present idea/project/product followed by Q&A. #innovation
- #KCedu Featured Innovators!
- 1. Rosy Burke, Independence SD, shares her passion for the non-profit Let Me Run--the Let Me Run Boys youth program that targets 4th-5th grade boys. She'll share the positive impact and how your school can start one. There are only 3 teams in KC schools right now. Business support from the KC community would be helpful to getting more teams started. The hope is we will share the info with our PLN's to spread this great program around KC!
- Lezlie Waltz, Ray-Pec SD, shares her love for and experience running TedEd Clubs! She runs a club at her school and will share her experience with it! She will answer questions so we can start our own student-driven, interest/passion-based learning clubs. TedEd clubs promote connection to the world outside our schools. We know KC will support us if we give kids the opportunity to belong to TedEd clubs.
- #KCedu Featured Innovators!
Both of these programs benefit kids and build community in our schools and community! The hope is we will share the info with our PLN's and spread this great program around KC!
- 6:30-7:00 -- Networking/Conversation continue
7:00 -- FOOD! Continue the conversation over food at THE legendary, THE top rated, THE one and only Joe's KC Bar-B-Que (formerly Oklahoma Joe's)--a short 10 minute drive from the Kauffman Foundation. We will eat in the original 'gas station' location. We may wait in line, but that gives us more time to talk. In the summer we have time to wait, and of course, talk. :)
ADDRESS: 3002 W. 47th Ave., Kansas City, KS 66103 (913) 722-3366
— Fubelly KC (@FubellyKC) June 8, 2015
"Joe's KC BBQ has been named Kansas City's 'Best Barbecue' by Zagat (every year since 2004), and by readers of KC Magazine and 435 Magazine." "In Spring 2013, USA Today named Joe's KCBBQ ribs as the "Tastiest Ribs in America." "In Summer 2013, Zagat named the Z-Man as Best Sandwich in Kansas in its "50 States, 50 Sandwiches" list." "Named by the Daily Meal for having the best ribs in America (May 2014)"
Summer is the perfect time to listen, ask, network, and dream for the future--connecting with educators and people/resources in our city!
Hope to see you there!